Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Some Final Thoughts

Being that we're now less than 5 days from the Philly Marathon, I thought it would be good to type out one last entry with some final thoughts before the big race. 

Needless to say, I'm very excited to go home for a bit, run a race, see family and friends, and just spend a wee-little bit of time back in the keystone state.  It's always a refresher to see everybody (although I practically guarantee that I'll be WAY more tired when I get back to Flag than when I left), and is a fantastic way to reset and get ready for the second part of the year.

 To say that I'm excited to run my first marathon would be an understatement, as this is the race that I feel that I've been best suited for since my formative years of running.  Even with that excitement, I'm trying to stay as even-keeled as possible, as I don't want to run a 4:45 first mile and blow up in spectacular fashion.  I've been training and racing smarter than I ever have before in my career, and I don't want that to change now.

I'm also fitter than I've ever been in my life, of that I'm 100% sure.  I have 0 doubts in my mind that my coach has prepared me fantastically for this race, and will get me to the line healthy, fit, and ready to roll.  She's taken me from a 3:46 1500 runner in the spring, molded me in 6 weeks into a 1:04:41 1/2 marathoner, and now has helped get me into a position to run a very competitive marathon.  I've been putting in a TON of consistent work since June, and am ready to toe the line and put 100% out there. I can't thank her enough for helping me out and getting me into this position.

The field is certainly pretty tough this year, as there is some talk that the course record will go down (2:16.47), but that doesn't scare me one bit, it has me licking my chops for a good; competitive race. 

So, it's only a few days until Sarah and I board the plane to come into town, and through these next few runs I'll certainly be doing lots visualizing and mental preparation for the race to come.  Along with that, I'll also be thinking of everyone who helped me get to this point.  It's been a long road, and this is certainly NOT the end, but hopefully the beginning of a new phase of my career. 

And when the race gets tough, as it certainly will, I will be using the home crowd and all of you as motivation to put one foot in front of the other, and get to the line in a speedy fashion. 

Thanks again,

I'll see you all on the other side of 26.2

Nick Hilton
The Moderately Talented Distance Runner

1 comment:

  1. Greg and I wish you the best Nick! Greg works the weekend so we can't be there but you'll be in our hearts and minds and we'll be cheering you on!!! So happy for you, stop in and say hello when you get home!! The kids miss you!!

    ReplyDelete