Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Why not?

November 17th 2013 is definitely going to be a big day.  The plan was to run the 1/2 marathon at the Philly marathon, and try to better my time from the last time I ran the 1/2.

But...

I've decided that I want to make Philly my debut MARATHON instead.  So on 11/17 I'll make first attempt at the 26.2 distance.

Here's the rationale:

1.) I've already achieved the "B" standard for the 2016 Olympic Marathon Trials, which was my original goal going into this season  (I wasn't expecting to break the 1:05 barrier at AFC).  Since my plan is to transition to the marathon anyway, why not get one under my belt, since there is really nothing to lose. 

2.) I'm healthy, fit, and running well.  I've been able to put in a really solid of uninterrupted training since June.  My workouts have been very consistent, and even before the decision to switch, I had run over 20 miles several times.  The original plan was to debut next fall, but I want to take advantage of my current health and fitness and get a baseline idea of what the marathon is like so I can have a better idea of how to run very fast next year. 

3.)  I can't think of a better place to debut than Philly.  It's a great running town, and I definitely have always wanted to do something big in Philadelpha (since I feel like I'll have some homefield advantage).  So what's bigger than trying to win my debut marathon in front of the hometown crowd?

4.)  When the miles get tough, I'll have family and friends to get me to the line.  There's nothing like performing in front of family and close friends. 

So, with that said, here goes nothing.  Only a little under 3 weeks remain to the big day.   Have done some higher volume workouts up here to get prepared for the longer distance.  The key one was a 16 mile steady state run, where I ended up averaging 5:22 pace at 7000 feet, with the last 5 miles at 5:17 pace.

I know its going to be a brutal test over those last 6 miles, but I trust that with my preparation and a little help from the hometown crowd that I'll bust through the wall and do something great. 

Thanks as always for the continued support, I can't wait until race day

Nick Hilton
The Moderately Talented Distance Runner

1 comment: